It’s foodie season once again, and time for the results of the Michelin Bib Gourmand 2019. This year, 58 eateries in Singapore have achieved this coveted distinction, with 12 new entrants—all of these places serve up quality, value-for-money food that doesn’t exceed S$45.
The full list includes 33 hawker stalls, six street food establishments, and other eateries, which just goes to show that the best food might not be the most expensive. Take a look at these three stalls that we were particularly impressed by, then scroll through the full list at the bottom of the article.
Is there any wonder that there’s a queue for the S$5 wonton mee at Chef Kang’s Noodle House in Toa Payoh?
Owned by Chef Ang Song Kang—his Cantonese restaurant Chef Kang’s Kitchen was awarded one Michelin star in 2017—this humble wonton mee stall serves up a lip-smackingly good bowl of noodles.
Chef Kang’s Noodle House æ±å¸å é¢å®¶: 11 Lorong Toa Payoh, Jackson Square, Blk A, #01-34, Singapore 319579 | Opening Hours: 8am – 4pm (Tues to Sun), Closed on Mon
Two of the best things combined into one: claypot, and laksa.
Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa å¾·æ®è·¯çåç¾ç ç ²å»æ² is helmed by second-generation owner Mr Zhang. His aunt, Madam Ang Siew Yan, is the original owner who sold laksa in claypots for over 10 years at Depot Road.
Starting from S$4 a bowl, you can even add cockles (or hum) for S$2.50. You’ll want to slurp up every last drop of laksa broth.
Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa å¾·æ®è·¯çåç¾ç ç ²å»æ²: 120 Bukit Merah Lane 1, Alexandra Village, #01-75, Singapore 151120 | Opening Hours: 9am – 5pm (Mon to Sat), Closed on Sun
3. Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa é¦³åçµéæ©ä¸è¼ªè»å»æ²
This may be a laksa stall that’s on the Michelin Bib Gourmand since 2016, but one of their speciality dishes will intrigue you. Ever heard of fruit juice in your mee siam?
Bites & Vibes 2019: Get Your Groove On With Burgers, Fried Chicken & More This 1 Sep At Amoy St
Before you think this is some weird food combination from the Internet, Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa é¦³åçµéæ©ä¸è¼ªè»å»æ² actually serves this dish for S$4/S$5/S$9 (with crayfish).
Mr Soo, the owner, prepares the mee siam broth with fruit juice for a zesty, healthy kick. Made with a secret recipe, it’s a food experience you won’t forget.
Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa é¦³åçµéæ©ä¸è¼ªè»å»æ²: 531A Upper Cross Street, #02-66, Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, Singapore 051531 | Opening Hours: 11.30am – 4.30pm (Mon to Sat), Closed on Sun
Aside from the three stalls we’ve featured, there are 55 more eateries on the Michelin Bib Gourmand 2019. Gather your friends, because it’s time to feast!
- A Noodle Story è¶ å¥½é¢
- Alliance Seafood èåæµ·é²ç§ç¤
- *Anglo Indian (Shenton Way)
- Ar Er Soupé¿2èç«æ±¤ (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- Balestier Road Hoover Rojak è±ªåç½æ
- Bar-Roque Grill
- *Beach Road Fish Head Bee Hoon ç¾èè·¯é±¼å¤´ç±³ç² (Whampoa Makan Place)
- *Bedok Chwee Kueh å¿æ´æ°´ç²¿ (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)
- Bismillah Biryani
- Chai Chuan Tou Yang Rou Tang æ´è¹å¤´ç¾èæ±¤ (Bukit Merah View Food Centre)
- *Chef Kang’s Noodle House æ±å¸å é¢å®¶
- *Chen’s Mapo Tofu ééº»å©è±è
- Chey Sua Carrot Cake éå±±èå¤´ç²¿
- Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duckå ¨è¨ (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa å¾·æ®è·¯çåç¾é©°åç ç ²å»æ²
- Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood æè¾ç°é¸¡ç²¥æµ·é®®ç ®çåº (Geylang Road Lorong 19)
- Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa é©°åç»éæ¡¥ä¸è½®è½¦å»æ²
- Fresh Taste Big Prawn Noodle ç¥å³é®®å¤§è¦é¢ (Zion Riverside Food Centre)
- Fu Ming Cooked Food ç¦æçé£ (Redhill Food Centre)
- *Guan Kee Fried Kway Teow æºè®°é²è¤çç²¿æ¡ (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- Hawker Chan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle äºå¡æ²¹é¸¡é¥é¢ (78 Smith Street)
- Hengå ´ (Newton Food Centre)
- *Hjh Maimunah (Jalan Pisang)
- *Hock Hai (Hong Lim) Curry Chicken Noodle ç¦æµ·è³æåå±é¸¡é¢ (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)
- Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee é¸¿å ´çèä¸è¾é¢ (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Hong Kee Beef Noodle æ¡è®°çèç²¿æ¡ (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Hong Kong Yummy Soup çä¹å³é¦æ¸¯éæ±¤ (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
- Hoo Kee Rice Dumplingåè®°èç²½ (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- *Indocafe – The White House
- J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff é©°åé¦èåå±å (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Ka-Soh å®¶å« (æ¬§åå) (Outram Park)
- *Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup è®¸å å¼çªä»æ±¤ (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Kok Sen Restaurant å½æçè®°é¤å®¤
- Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow èå¤«åçç²¿æ¡ (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice èåæ¬è®°ç ²é¥ (Chinatown Complex)
- Man Man (Tanjong Pagar) é°»æ»¡ (ä¸¹æå·´è)
- Muthu’s Curry (Little India)
- Na Na Homemade Curry ååå®¶åå© (Bukit Merah)
- New Lucky Claypot Rice æ°é¸¿è¿ç¦ç ²é¥ (Holland Drive Market & Food Centre)
- Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee æ¬§ååçç²¿æ¡é¢ (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- Shi Hui Yuan å®æ å (Mei Ling Market & Food Centre)
- Shirokane Tori-tama ç½éè¥¿åç
- Sik Bao Sin (Desmond’s Creation) åé¥±å
- Sin Huat Eating House æ°åé¤å
- Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice æ°è®° (Holland Drive)
- Song Fa Bak Kut Teh (New Bridge Road) æ¾åèéª¨è¶ (æ°æ¡¥è·¯)
- Tai Wah Pork Noodle å¤§åèèé¢ (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- The Blue Ginger
- Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Riceå¤©å¤©æµ·åé¸¡é¥ (Maxwell Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice ä¸å³é²æµ·åèµ·éª¨é¸¡é¥ (Tiong Bahru Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee ä¸å³é²çççç¦å»ºè¾é¢ (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- *To-Ricos Guo Shi å¤ä¸½å¥ç²¿æ± (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- True Blue Cuisine
- Whole Earth ç¯ç
- Yhingthai Palace é¶æ³°
- Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast)
- Zai Shun Curry Fish Head è½½é¡ºåå±é±¼å¤´
*First-time awardees in 2019
Drop by these eateries and tick them off your list!